To Borrow Library Materials
- A borrower must have a valid Canisius College ID card and be a registered student, staff, faculty member or Alumni with a photo ID to charge out library materials. ID cards are non-transferable. If your ID card is lost or stolen, immediately report the loss to Public Safety at 716-888-2330.
- I.D. cards are available at the Office of Public Safety in the lower level of Bosch Hall.
- Students, faculty, staff and alumni who owe money or overdue items to the Library may be denied the right to charge out materials until the delinquency is cleared.
- The Library will neither disclose the names of any borrowers nor devulge any information regarding items loaned to specific individuals.
- Most books may be checked out for four weeks and may be renewed twice for an additional four weeks per renewal. Some exemptions apply. See below.
- For students, borrowed items are due at the end of the semester. The Library considers the last day of exam week to be the end of the semester. Books checked out fewer than four weeks before the semester ends are also due by the end of the semester.
- Library materials that are not overdue may be renewed online, by phone, or in person at the Circulation Desk. Each patron should ensure that any items which they have on loan are renewed or retuned to the library by the due date specified.
- Students enrolled in the Honors Program may borrow books for the entire semester. These students must request the whole semester loan at the time the book is checked out. This does not apply to ConnectNY titles, Curriculum Materials Center materials, Best Sellers, or DVDs. Honors Students will be assessed fines for these materials if kept past their due dates.
- The normal faculty/administrator loan period is six months. This does not apply to ConnectNY titles, Curriculum Material Center materials, Best Sellers or DVDs.
- Materials needed for Reserve will be recalled even if the four week loan period has not expired. Failure to return the material within 7 days will result in a fine of $.50 per day. An item checked to a faculty member or administrator may be recalled if someone else needs it.
- Reserve materials are located on the Main Level of the Library at the Circulation Desk. Faculty place books, DVDs and other materials on Reserve for students to use.
- Library Use Only materials do NOT leave the Library and may be borrowed for 3 hours.
- A student who fails to return Library Use Only material before leaving the Library will be assessed a $10.00 fine in addition to any overdue fines accrued.
- The fine for overdue Reserve items is $.50 per day.
Returning Library Materials
- Please return materials to the Library Service Desk on the main floor,
- Materials may be returned when the Library is closed via the outside book drop.
- There is no stated limit on the number of books a student may borrow at one time. The Library does, however, reserve the right to limit the number of books a student borrows if it appears that other students' needs are not being met.
- The date on which a book is due back is usually stamped in the back of the book. Failure on the Library's part to stamp a book does not relieve students of the obligation to return books on time.
- Each patron should ensure that any items which they have on loan are renewed or returned to the library by the due date specified. Patrons may check your circulation record on the library's web page at the Library Catalog.
- As a courtesy, an overdue notice is sent starting when the book is one week overdue. A student who does not receive a courtesy notice for an item is still liable for any fines accrued.
- Overdue notices are sent by email to Canisius College accounts. It is your responsibility to check your Canisius College email account.
- Students are responsible for notifying the Library of any changes in their addresses.
- Must be in the online Banner administrative system
- Maximum of five books can be checked out.
- The borrowing period is four weeks.
- Computers and online databases can be accessed on campus when available
- Access to online databases from off campus is not allowed due to license contracts restrictions
Other Library Equipment
- Kindles, still cameras, video cameras, webcams, projectors, and other media items are available for checkout from the library. They can be borrowed from the circulation desk.
- They have limited circulation periods and carry fines of $10.00 per day overdue. Please check the catalog for a list of available items.
Media Center Loans
- Video camcorders, digital still cameras, audio recorders, and other media hardware borrowed from the Media Center have a 3 day loan period.
- Materials lent from the Media Center in Lyons Hall must be returned to the Media Center. The library cannot be responsible for accepting these items.
- Equipment returned late will have a $10.00 per day fine that increases at the rate of $10.00 per late day. If you have any questions about the items, fines, hours or reservations please call the Media Center at 716-888-2590.
- Fines on Media Center equipment may be paid at the library. We only accept cash, check or Golden Choice funds. If you would like to pay via credit card, please call the Student Accounts office at 716-888-8500.
- ConnectNY books circulate for 42 days.
- An additional 42 day renewal may be requested if other users have not reserved the item or it has not been "recalled" by the lending library.
- All loans are subject to "recall" by the lending institution at any time.
- Borrowers will be billed for the replacement cost for overdue items.
- The borrower is responsible for the lost or damaged books.
- ConnectNY holds may not be placed on checked out items.
- To see all ConnectNY policies click here.
Users from Other Colleges & Universities
A list of other New York State libraries participating in Empire AcademicShare is located on Empire State Library Network at www.esln.org.
Using the Buffalo & Erie County Public Library
- To use the Buffalo & Erie County Public Library, students whose permanent addresses are outside Erie County must show proof of home (permanent) address using any of the identification acceptable for permanent resident's address, proof of address in Erie County, and current Canisius College identification card or semester tution receipt.
- Semester cards will be renewed each semester.
- Please see the BECPL site for details.